Wednesday 2 April 2014

(vol 1) CHAPTER 08: “The storm before the calm”

I told myself no excuses when it came to writing but sometimes it cannot be helped so I’m going to use one now. It will be the only time and it won’t happen again.

Promise.

You see, no matter how much I want to sit and write it can be difficult. My lunch breaks have been my only chance really since I started this venture and it doesn’t allow me to get as much done as I’d like. But still I write because one hundred words are still better than zero.

However, since my last post I moved house (there’s that excuse I mentioned) and I can tell you right now that will destroy your writing time. So, there hasn’t been much of what I would call ‘progress’. But the good news is, from here on out I can now knuckle down and get myself really focused. Sure there are still loads of things to do at the house and my dream of that peaceful room with a writing desk is a little way off but right now I can manage to get stuff done in the evenings as well as my lunch. Double trouble.

So where am I at? Well, I managed to finish that new draft of CONDOLENCE. I really like it and I think it works better than the mess I had before. It’s trimmed down and fits nicer into the 1500 word limit. Back out to the beta readers later this week and then I guess, barring any issues, I can send it into the SFX competition.

I’ve also just got to finish typing up LOVE BITE and pass that out as well as a rewrite of another story for the compilation; STAR. This is the shortest entry of the collection and was written almost ten years ago but it’s one of my short stories that I’m most proud of.

Something else I’m getting back into is reading. I’ve struggled recently with finishing a novel called Bubble, the third part of the Game trilogy by Anders De La Motte. Its equal part disappointing story (more on that when I post the review) as well as making the choice to use my limited free time for writing instead of reading.

So that’s the update for this week. Short and sweet.

Next week I’ll be talking about how the blogging is going and highlighting some fellow writers out in the world that are on a similar journey to myself.


See you in seven (when normal service will resume). 

No comments:

Post a Comment