Wednesday 10 June 2015

(vol 2) Chapter 22: “A Quiet Week”

2015 WORD COUNT = 32653 words


I haven’t really been what I’d call ‘a writer’ this week. Only two contests entered. Still, it’s the calm before the storm. The next few months should hopefully be busier as one project I’ve been involved in comes to fruition while another I’m desperate to start on gets closer.




ANTHOLOGY

I have a bigger and more specific post planned for next week, but I’ll just say that the FlashDogs second anthology is due for release in less than two weeks.

If you enjoyed the last one then this one is going to impress you tenfold. With two books making it up, that include stories based on four different prompt photos, and all linked to the solstice, it’s going to be an eclectic mix of raw talent for your reading pleasure.



CAMP NANOWRIMO

Every November I attempt (and in most cases succeed) NaNoWriMo. The challenge of taking an idea and getting it past 50,000 words in just 30 days is both terrifying and exhilarating.

Last year I added another large chunk of word count to my year by venturing into CampNaNo territory. CampNaNo is a little less ridged than its bigger brother. It’s a world where you can choose your own word count, a world where you can stray from novels and write anything in any format you want.

I enjoyed working on my novella, TATTOO, back in July 2014, so I thought maybe I would give it another go this year. The relaxing nature of Camp means it acts as a kind of warm up to the main November event.

But what will I be writing, I hear you ask. Well, I’ve mentioned a couple of times in the last few months that I have something planned for my Micro Bookend contest creations, Chris and Mike. This year’s CampNaNo is that plan. As with the FlashDogs Anthology, this project will have its own dedicated post in the upcoming weeks, a post where I’ll talk about how it all started and where I see it all going.



OTHER

Other than that I’m just trucking along. I plan to write a couple of short stories over the next few weeks when I’m not planning for CampNaNo. Hopefully I’ll have the links to them on Wattpad when they are readable.

Until then, enjoy the sun, get psyched for the Anthology, and take a peak below at last week’s Flash! Friday story as well as the last three weeks’ worth of ‘Chris And Mike vs’.

See you in seven.




FLASH! FRIDAY

This week we had to include a farmer as the main character. Enjoy.


THREE ASIANS WALK INTO A SHOP

Three Asian gentlemen have been window shopping for a good fifteen minutes now. While my ad girls dance their dance for them, I stay behind the counter, reading the paper, being all patient. Like Papa used to say, ‘let ‘em come to you.’

Eventually they build up the courage and enter the shop.

“Afternoon, gentlemen,” I says. “Anything I can help you with?”

They confer like they’re on a quiz show before the short one in the middle speaks up. “We like to buy some women.”

I grin because my bank balance is about to get bigger. “You’ve come to the right place. Please, follow me.”

For some reason I bow because it seems like the thing to do. Oddly enough, they all bow back. I take ‘em through to the back and then on down to the basement. Hunching over the keypad, I enter my old man’s birthday, opening the door to the farm.

Lining both sides of the dingy room are twelve bio pods. Each one contains a synthetic woman, some still in the early stage of accelerated growth. My beauties.

“Gentlemen,” I says. “You can take off the self, or order from scratch.”

That’s when the short one utters my two favourite words.

“How much?”




MICRO BOOKENDS



CHRIS AND MIKE vs THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN MOLAR

“Fear is our weapon,” said the man in the grey suit. “You can’t win.”

Chris punched him again while Mike kept watch at the end of the alley.

The man spat blood and looked up at Chris, laughing. “I’ll never tell you where he is.”

Chris noticed something then and smiled. He punched the man again and this time something golden shot out, landing next to Mike’s foot.

“Is that his tooth?” said Mike as he picked it up.

“Sort of,” said Chris. “It’s more of a key.”

“To what?”

“To a floating prison.”

“Floating?” said Mike. “So I guess we’re flying?”





CHRIS AND MIKE vs THE CHOICE OF TWO DOORWAYS

“Soap?” said Mike. “What do I need soap for?”

“To clean out your ears,” said Chris. “Don’t you hear that?”

“All I hear is the freezing wind, approaching prison guards, and you telling me that one of these doors means certain death. Which is crazy.”

“One door offers safe passage to the prison interior, the other leads to an undisclosed death.”

“Like a fatal security measure?”

“Exactly,” said Chris as he slid the golden key into the lock of the left door.

“Wait!” said Mike. “How do you know it’s that door?”

“Don’t you hear the music?” said Chris. “My Dad loves opera.”






CHRIS AND MIKE vs SCUM AND VILLAINY

“Under no circumstances do you hurt my father,” said Chris.

“Which one is he?” said Mike, as he picked up a hardback bible from a bookshelf

Lined up in front of the pair were seventy-nine very angry prisoners. They looked hungry. For violence.

“I’ll deal with the degenerates.” said Chris.

“Who you callin’ ‘degenerates’?” said a scar faced man with an out of date moustache.

Chris sighed. He rolled up his sleeves, revealing phoenix tattoos on each forearm. With a simple incantation, the fiery birds left his skin.

The colour drained from the prisoners and they fled en masse.

Only one man remained. Chris smiled. “He’ll be the only taker.”



Last Thursday’s entry got an Honourable Mention, the first award a ‘Chris And Mike vs’ story has got since the very first episode. Here’s what judge Jessica Franken had to say about it.

“I was already smiling after just reading the title. Oh, scum and villainy: you are no match for Chris and Mike! This is a compact, complete story that, at the end, launches the next scene in the reader’s mind. I love that the question posed in the second line hangs in the air until the last line. It’s fun to imagine how Chris and Mike got into this situation; great use of in media res. Favorite details include Mike’s bible weapon and the prisoner’s out of date mustache, a fun morsel that tells us he’s been in prison for a while. Also, I want Chris’ tattoos so bad now.”




No comments:

Post a Comment