Search This Blog

Sunday, 26 April 2015

Flash Fiction Roundup

Welcome to this weeks roundup of my Flash Fiction entries.


MICRO BOOKENDS

As sure as bears s**t in the woods, Thursday brings the challenge of concocting another 'Chris and Mike vs' story.

This week I decided to carry on from where I left off and have our two monster hunters still stuck in the labyrinth. For now they have evaded the mad man who is chasing them down but that doesn't mean they're safe.


CHRIS AND MIKE vs THE CHAMBER OF FLAMES

“George says it’s this way,” said Chris as they entered a cavernous chamber.

Mike hoped so. They’d been following this mysterious spectral knight for several hours; this pale guide with his glowing cloak. And somewhere out there a maniac was still hunting them.

Mike joined Chris who was looking up. High above he could just see a tiny shaft of daylight.

“Freedom,” he said.

The knights cloak dropped to the ground. The air shifted and a deep growl danced across their chests.

Mike raised his torch. “The wall’s moving.”

A sudden jet of flame illuminated the chamber.


“That’s no wall,” said Chris. “That’s a dragon.”



FLASH! FRIDAY

After seeing this weeks Flash! Friday photo I couldn't rid my mind of the old black and white comedy movies of the forties and fifties. With this still lingering, and my friends suggestion to incorporate the Avengers (as I was seeing the new Marvel movies that night and was quite excited about it) I put together an alternate 1950's Avengers. The revamped names were a lot of fun and I hope I get to expand the idea in the future.

By the way, Avengers: Age of Ultron was awesome!!!


THE RETRIBUTIONERS

“Oh, James,” says Sophia. “I’ve had a wonderful time. When will I see you again?”

“Well, how about we drive out to the country this weekend?”

Sophia smiles as James opens the apartment door for her to leave. A plump, middle aged man stands waiting.

“Professor Banter,” says James. “Long time, no see.”

 “Mr Park, I’m here to ask for your assistance. There is an imminent threat to our great city.”

“No dice, Professor. I don’t do that anymore.”

“What’s he talking about, James.”

“Nothing, Sophia. He’s talking crazy and about to leave.”

“Ganesh and Lt. Liberty are standing ready over at Central Park. I’m joining them now.”

“Well, I wish you good luck.”

“We could really do with the Mighty Man of Steel by our side.”

“War’s over, Professor. I’m not that guy anymore.”

Banter sighs as he turns to leave.

“Out of interest, Professor,” says James. “Who’s this week’s villain?”

Banter stops in the doorway. “Our greatest nemesis has returned. He left Russia this morning and has crossed the Atlantic with an army of mechanical men.”

“Killer Kremlin is coming here, to New York City? I owe that man a right hook full of justice.”

“My hero,” says Sophia.


“Let me suit up, my old friend. Retributioners unite!”



ANGRY HOURGLASS

As always I sat on this one at first and couldn't come up with much. But that changed once I fired the laptop up. The idea of the two brothers changed only slightly as it spilled onto the page and hardly changed in edits.

Just to warn you folks; it's another depressing one. Sorry.


At The Finishing line

Do you remember the day it all changed for us, Elliott? Do you remember when we cut the ribbon on that crappy little building, our first company headquarters? We were just two brothers setting out to change the world. We were going to do it all. We were going to live like kings.

What happened, little Elliott? What went wrong?

We had the money, the fame, the success. Our company still dominates the globe. We were fixing it, making the world a better place for the people living in it.

So why am I sitting here, now, feeling like I lost.

Of course, you don’t know what I’m going through, do you? The coin always turns up heads for you, little Elliott. You lived the dream and then some. What I don’t get is why I didn’t get the same. Where is my super model wife? Where are my beautiful children? What did you have, little brother, what did you have that I didn’t? Why did the whole God damn world love you and not me too?

I wasn’t a bad person. I never gambled. I never fought. I never cheated. Hell, how could I? I’d need to be with someone in the first place to be able to cheat on them.

It’s, it’s not that I hate you. I’m not jealous of you, merely your success. I did everything right, I was with you for the whole journey, brother. So why am I sat in my penthouse apartment all alone?

I can’t handle being your shadow anymore. It wasn’t enough to have the success. I wanted more. I wanted to be someone. I wanted to mean something.

I love you brother. Guess I’ll see you on the other side.

BEEP. END MESSAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment