Search This Blog

Monday, 23 March 2015

Flash Fiction Roundup

Back to norm this week with entries for all three contests released into the wild.


MICRO BOOKENDS

Everyone's favourite supernatural investigators are back and this time there's a little friction between them and the head of local law enforcement (special guest star appearance).



CHRIS AND MIKE vs THE ESCAPED DOCTOR

“Doctor Frankenstein has left the building,” said Chris as he followed Mike under the yellow tape and into the cell.

Mike found a box of the Doctors personal belongings and rummaged. “Photos, badges, a shell.” And a key that ‘fell’ into his pocket.

“Our Doctor had help escaping,” said Chris. “All the damage to the door, I’d say it was opened from the outside. By something very strong.”

“That’s your five minutes,” said a woman stood across the corridor.

Chris grinned as they left the cell. “Thank you, Jo.”

“You’ve figured it out, haven’t you?”

Chris nodded.

”Are you going to tell me?”


“That would be a no.”



FLASH! FRIDAY

I was so happy when this prompt came through. I could finally write a ninja story without having to force it. This week we had to use a parking lot for the setting.



TAPED TRANSCRIPT OF OFFICER MITCHELL
INTERVIEW CONDUCTED BY CORPORAL HOLLANDS
CASE NUMBER – 07-110979
JM – OFFICER JASON MITCHELL
LH – CORPORAL LEON HOLLANDS

LH: Start at the beginning.

JM: I’d just clocked in when we got the call. As the closest unit we headed to the scene.

LH: The car park on Kapioloni Avenue?

JM: Correct. Upon arrival we found a crowd. Officer Jakes controlled the civilians while I closed on the cause of the disruption.

LH: This would be the ‘ninja’.

JM: Yes, sir. He was knelt in the centre. I announced myself and informed him that he was causing a disturbance. He didn’t move, didn’t react. I then noticed he was armed.

LH: Firearm?

JM: No, sir. A sword. As a precaution I drew my sidearm and advanced. That was when I heard him.

LH: What was he saying?

JM: Not sure. It sounded Japanese. I think he was praying.

LH: Praying?

JM: Yes, sir. I then informed him that he was under arrest for possession of the weapon. He turned to me and said, in English, “I’m here.” And then he faded.

LH: Fainted?

JM: Faded. Like a ghost.

LH: I don’t understand.

JM: Me either, sir. But I’d like to dig up that parking lot.



NINJA CLUB

I see him as soon as I leave the gents.

The guy’s letching all over Lisa and not taking the hint. I march over to the bar and pull him back by the shoulder.

“Hey, buddy,” he says. “What’s with the aggression?”

“Lady’s with me, asshole,” I say. “You wanna grope someone then stick your hand down your own pants.”

He ignores my insult and looks at his pint glass. “You gonna buy me another drink, since you made me spill this one?”

I step closer. “Don’t think so.”

The bar goes quiet. After the tension thickens just enough, someone shouts, “Fight!”

Seconds later me, Lisa, the drunk prick and half the bar spill outside to the parking lot.

“Which one’s yours?” I ask the drunk.

He looks around and eventually spots his ninja. “That one.”

I follow his swaying pointer and see a beat up ninja droid hunched over like a marionette hung by its strings.

“What about yours?” he asks, a foolish grin on his face.

Before I can answer, Lisa steps in front of me. “Let me get this one.” She whistles and a ninja dressed in black stands without making a sound. It turns and draws its sword, eyes glowing red.

The drunk’s grin fades away.



ANGRY HOURGLASS

This was another photo prompt that I was immediately excited about. So many possibilities. I wanted to be a little vague with the back story and the emotions of the characters. 

According to my wife and a couple of commentators on the site, I may have nailed it.


STRANGER THINGS

He rolls off of me, off the bed, and walks over to my bedroom window.

My friend Charlotte said it hurt her the first time. She had me so worried but that didn’t hurt at all.

That. Was. Amazing.

He was gentle and caring. I’m pretty sure I had my first orgasm too. I’m still tingling. God, I want to do it again.

“What’s that?”

I reluctantly take my eyes of his perfect butt. “What’s what?”

“That.”

I grab the covers as a makeshift dress and join him at the window. He’s pointing to the back half of a car that sits beside the garage like some kind of abstract ornament.

“That’s my dad’s car,” I say. “I mean it was. I mean, it’s what’s left.”

“Where’s the rest?”

“No one knows.”

He turns and looks at me then with real thought in his eyes, like he’s solved a complicated equation but he’s worried that he’s wrong.

“The Golden Gate Bridge?” he finally offers.

I forget that my dad wasn’t the only one who disappeared that day. I nod.

“I lost my brother,” he says. “Crazy, right?”

My heart skips. Like the bond we’d just shared then and there on the bed wasn’t enough, we now have something else, something beyond reason. It wasn’t just our bodies that had merged; our history was linked too.

His arms envelope me and I feel safer than I ever have done before.

“Maybe if they did end up somewhere else and they’re still alive, maybe they’ve met. Maybe they’re taking care of each other.”

“Stranger things,” he mumbles.

I feel his arms relax and he lets go.

“I’d better go,” he says.

“Okay.” I try to hide the disappointment. I was still hoping for round two. I sit on the bed and watch him get dressed. He doesn’t look happy anymore. There’s something weighing him down.

“I’ll see you,” he says. A peck on the cheek and he’s out the door.



No comments:

Post a Comment