Search This Blog

Sunday, 1 March 2015

Flash Fiction Roundup

It's been a tough week of Flash Fiction (both prompts and writing time) but I have persevered.



MICRO BOOKENDS

The legends that are Chris and Mike continue to grow. This week was an extremely tough one though and, for a little while, it looked like it might not happen.

It took 8 drafts and the wish to not let down their #1 fan before I finally found the story. There was a version  where Chris was missing and Mike was interrogating a troll. There was the one where a rival monster hunter stole their bounty. There was even one where Mike was recovering in hospital. None of them balanced out the word prompts (start 'Blueberry', end 'Hill') with the picture or the characters.

But, as always seems to happen, something emerges right when I'm about to quit and I feel it was the best I could have done for this week.


CHRIS AND MIKE vs PLAN A

“Blueberry muffins I get,” said Mike. “But what’s with all the white bricks lined up  around the museum?”

“Those ‘white bricks’ are Tasmanian Sleeping Stones,” said Chris as he placed the last one by the foot of the stairs. “The clacking sound will put any troll to sleep in seconds.”

“We’re hunting a troll with muffins and dominoes?” said Mike, more than a little disappointed. “But I brought my sword.”

“How about we call that plan B?”

“This is just like with the dragon.”

“Fair point,” said Chris. “You’re feeling emasculated. Tell you what, tomorrow night, you call the shots when we visit the House on Haunted Hill.”



FLASH! FRIDAY

I thought this was a great picture this week and only wished I had far more than just 200 words. It reminded me of Mad Max and I stuck with the post apocalyptic feel for my story. 

Time was short due to IT issues at work and a social engagement in the evening. This was one of the most rushed pieces I've ever written


O CAPTAIN! MY CAPTAIN

The recon pilot waited beside his Captain on the upper deck of the SS September.

“Is it true?” said the Captain. “Have you found the green?”

“Yes, sir,” said the pilot. “I ‘bout hit my fuel limit and started home when I caught glimpse of the great emerald; five days east, six tops.”

The Scout reached forward and held the railing as the ship crested another dune. The Captain remained on the spot, his legs matching the motion.

“What do you think it’s like, sir?”

“The green?” replied the Captain. “I think it’s everything you’ve heard and more; rolling plains, vast forests and creatures of all shapes and sizes.”

“I can’t wait to taste fruit,” said the pilot. “No more of cooks slop.”

The Captain laughed.

The pilot laughed along with him.

The Captain drew a knife and slashed the pilot’s throat. The young man’s face echoed confusion as his life poured out over his chest.

“This is our life,” said the Captain. “This ship and these dunes. We don’t walk on land.” He pushed the pilot overboard. “We only sail the sands.”

He reached across for the intercom.

“Yes, sir,” came the ensigns crackly voice.

“We sail west,” said the Captain. “We keep searching.”

“Aye, aye.”



ANGRY HOURGLASS

As always I glanced at the picture yesterday and let it sit at the back of my imagination. Waking this morning I found the story fully formed and ready to go. It's another full dialogue piece.


Witness

“Tell me again what you think you saw.”

“I – I don’t understand. Please, I just want to see my brother. Where’s Tony?”

“Kid, this is bigger than your brother. Hell, it’s bigger than all of us. Safety of the whole God damn world’s at stake. Now tell me what happened.”

“But –"

“Now!”

“Okay, okay. So me and my brother, we were out by the river, the one that goes through Mr Jackman’s farm on the other side of town. He don’t mind us going down there so long as we let him know. Which we did.”

“And what did you see?”

“I don’t know?”

“Don’t mess around with me kid. I can make you disappear real easy.”

“Wait! I’m not playing. What I mean is, I don’t know what ‘it’ was. But it was big, real big; hurt my neck just to try and see how high it went.”

“Did you go near it?”

“Two kids with nothing else to do on a hot July day but fish? ‘Cause we did.”

“And?”

“It was like a big metal wall, smooth as a baby’s behind. Cold to the touch and it hummed like a refrigerator.”

“Did it do anything?”

“Other than just sitting there? Nope.”

“And did anything come out?”

“Out?”

“I’m sorry, am I speaking French? Out. Did anything come out from this structure?”

“No sir, I didn’t see nothing like that. ‘Cept-“

“Except what?”

“These was this clanging noise. It happened when Tony got his phone out to film the thing, so he could prove to the guys at school what we saw. Next thing I know there’s this light.”

“Coming from where?”

“The wall, it’s the panel right in front of us. It lit up like a cinema screen.”

“And that’s it? You saw a wall and it’s shone its night light on you?”

“Look, that’s all I remember. I blacked out and woke up here. Now, please, I want to see my brother.”

“Sorry, kid. No can do. There was no sign of your brother, only you. The ship’s gone too.”

“Ship? What ship?”

“Let’s just say, we’re not alone.” 







No comments:

Post a Comment