Search This Blog

Sunday, 14 December 2014

Flash Frenzy

AH – 14th December 2014





NATIONAL PRIDE

I’m a man of action, a man of duty. Waiting is for patient men and I’m not one of them. I do everything in my power to get the job done. Of course there will always be things out of my control. Today it’s flights delayed by weather.

I consider a fix from the Starbucks opposite when I see him. He follows the tide of civvies’ as they flow out from the arrivals area. He blends in well; simple haircut, cheap glasses and a coat that screams ‘practical’. He looks like a banker on holiday.

I tuck my newspaper under my arm and head over to greet him.

“I pledge allegiance to the flag,” I say.

“Liberty and Justice for all,” he replies.

Agency talk becomes habit when you’ve been in the business as long as we have. With the formalities out of the way we hug. I take his bags and direct him to the airports nearest exit. “Nice jumper Dad,” I say. “Is that in case you forget who you work for?”

He looks down at the stars and stripes that adorn his chest. “Nothing wrong with a little national pride.”

I smile.

We near the doors when he stops. “Mind if we pop to the bathroom before the drive?”

“Of course not.” I look around and spot the universal silhouette for the men’s room off to our left. He hurries over. As I follow him in I can see he’s checking the blind spots. I want to say its habit but there’s something off about his movement.

“Everything okay, Dad?”

He turns back to me and I can see the panic on his face. “Someone is after me, son. I’m a marked man.”

“What have you done?”

“Nothing.”

I pull my pistol and aim it at his head. “Now that’s a lie.”

The wind is knocked out of him as he realises his situation.

“Not you. Not my own son.”

“You sold out your country, dad. What did you think would happen?”

“Not my own son!”

BANG!

I’m a man of action, a man of duty.



No comments:

Post a Comment