Search This Blog

Friday, 26 September 2014

Flash! Friday

FF – 26th September 2014

This week the prompt was to include a death with the following picture.

I found two ways to tell that story. Enjoy.





WASHED AWAY

It won’t be much longer now. I don’t know how I know this, I just do.

Looking out across the river, I watch the surface come alive as if a troupe of fairies were dancing on its surface. I used to hate the rain but here I find it soothing. It was an inconvenience before; something to avoid, to resent.

Here it washes away my fears and my regrets. I begin to forget about the life I’d been wasting. Years of promise stolen by my idle conditioning.

None of that matters now of course. My turn is over and I can but stand here and wait to cross to the other side. It would have been nice to have the opportunity to say goodbye to friends and family but my current predicament was dramatically void of choice.

Only the storm had the power to choose.






MOST VALUABLE

Tetsuo stepped up beside his sister, wishing the umbrella was bigger. “When did you get back?”

Sozuku ignored his question. “Do you think they were home when it happened?”

Tetsuo glanced at the city they’d once called home. “It was late evening. Father would have been tinkering in the shed and mother would have been watching television.” He looked at the mask she held in her hand. “What’s that for?”

“I have to find them.”

“Find them? In there? You can’t. The army have it quarantined.”

She handed her brother the umbrella and made her way down the embankment. Tetsuo was calling out to her but she couldn’t stop now. She was up to her eyeballs in debt to the wrong people and there was only one way save her skin.

She just had to hope that her mother still wore that beautiful diamond necklace.




No comments:

Post a Comment